The UCSF Office of Diversity and Outreach is excited to announce the opening of the application period for the Fall 2017 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate program. This initiative is a training opportunity for staff and in alignment with the Chancellor’s priority on Equity and Inclusion.
The curriculum focuses on exploring foundational concepts essential to enhancing an inclusive work environment, through lecture, experiential activities, and independent learning activities.
The 4-month Certificate Program’s curriculum is designed for the adult learner to have a more self-directed approach to learning. Each curriculum unit has a required core reading assignment, and a number of supplemental readings, video clips, or audio clips to choose from based on learning preference (2 hours minimum for each unit).
PurposeParticipants in the program may expect to:
- Explore their own background, identities, values.
- Examine mechanisms that lead to unconscious bias and stereotype threat.
- Deepen their understanding of historical and institutionalized policies that continue to impact inequities for diverse populations.
- Learn tools for decreasing bias and supporting a more inclusive climate for underrepresented minorities at UCSF.
GoalsTo develop a more capable workforce by enhancing staff competencies and capacity relevant to diversity, equity and inclusion, in order to leverage these toward achieving and sustaining campus wide excellence.
- Understanding foundational concepts for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Considerations and tools for creating an inclusive climate at work.
- Professional development.
- Contribute to the UCSF community by addressing unmet diversity needs.
Faculty, Speakers & PresentersThe Certificate Program will be led by LaMisha Hill, PhD, Director of the Multicultural Resource Center. Additionally, a diverse group of UCSF staff, faculty, and administrators will also contribute to the program.
ScheduleThe Fall 2017 program will be held at Parnassus approximately every-other Tuesday beginning in August, ending with a graduation celebration in early December. The exact schedule with rooms will be posted when finalized.
This 3 month commitment includes:
- 2.5 hours in-person sessions (2 times per month)
- 2.5 hours of online independent learning in between sessions
EligibilityThe program is open to all UCSF staff. In an effort to enrich the personal experiences and interpersonal interactions of each participant, a limited number of applicants will be selected each year. Each participant must commit to attend every session, and obtain the appropriate release time for the program. A certificate will be awarded upon completion of the program.
RegistrationThis program is FREE to all UCSF staff. Registration for the Fall 2017 cohort will be open early May 8, 2017 and closes June 9, 2017. Notifications will be delivered early July, 2017.
Previous applicants who were not selected should submit a new application if they would like to be considered. Past successful applicants addressed each of the personal statement questions, including how they would incorporate diversity and inclusion work into their current role, spoke to their career goals at UCSF, and expressed an interest in bringing their learning back to their unit and/or department.
To apply, complete an online application.