UCSF Principles of Community
The faculty, staff, students, postdoctoral scholars, trainees, alumni, volunteers, patients, vendors and visitors of the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) represent many diverse characteristics, beliefs, and affiliations. Recognizing this rich diversity, UCSF seeks to offer all campus community members an equitable, inclusive, welcoming, secure, responsive, and affirming environment that fosters mutual respect, empathy and trust.
To nurture this environment, several principles of community have been established to guide campus life at UCSF. Adherence to these principles is essential to ensure the integrity of the University and to achieve campus goals of a diverse, open and inclusive community. All are asked to acknowledge and practice these basic principles:
- We recognize, value, and affirm that our rich diversity contributes to the excellence of the University and enhances the quality of campus life for individuals and groups. We encourage one another to apply our unique talents in creative and collaborative work, take pride in our various achievements and celebrate our differences.
- We reject all acts of discrimination, including, but not limited to those based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, and religious or political beliefs, as affirmed by the UC Diversity Statement. We commit ourselves to fostering an atmosphere of equity and inclusion.
- We are committed to providing a welcoming campus environment where each person can benefit from the highest principles of openness and integrity. As a public university, we are committed to transparency in our dealings so that we may engender trust from all of our stakeholders.
- We affirm the right of freedom of expression within the UCSF community and commit to the highest standards of civility and decency. We are committed to maintaining a community where communication is courteous, sensitive, respectful and never demeaning.
- We will form a campus infrastructure that is responsive to the needs of our community. We have empathy for others, and will establish systems which address the needs of the one and the many.
- We affirm that each member of the campus community is expected to work in accord with these principles and to make individual efforts to enhance the quality of campus life for all.
Download the Principles of Community banner.
Download the Principles of Community card.
Office of Diversity and Outreach
Endorsed by the UCSF Council on Campus Climate, Culture and Inclusion