The nomination period for the 2021 Chancellor Awards for Diversity is April 12 – May 14, 2021.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are inextricably linked to UCSF's mission of education, research and patient care, and UCSF faculty, staff, students and trainees are actively engaged in equity and inclusion in multiple local, regional and global settings. Each year this award recognizes and honors three individuals at UCSF—one faculty, one staff, one student/resident/postdoctoral scholar—who have demonstrated outstanding commitment and service in furthering the goal of enhancing accessibility of the physical, social, educational, clinical, administrative and virtual environment while promoting accommodation and full inclusion of people with disabilities within the UCSF community, beyond the scope of their job, area of research, or training. This year those whose contributions are aligned with our Anti-racism Initiative are encouraged to be nominated.
Eligibility Requirements for Nomination
Nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a UCSF academic or staff employee (with a minimum 50% appointment), or a student, a resident, or a postdoctoral scholar continuously from the time of nomination to the award ceremony in October.
- Have either a P-series (P1-4), S-series (S1-S2), or M-series (M1-M4) classification but do not hold the title of assistant or associate vice chancellor or equivalent VP or Executive VP title in UCSF Health.
- Have not previously received a Diversity Award from any of the four categories.
- Have exhibited and sustained efforts toward engaging in diversity, equity, and inclusion as delineated below in the "Selection Criteria."
- Endorsements from the supervisor and department head of the nominee.
- We encourage individual nominations, not groups.
NOTE: Questions regarding classification, employment, and enrollment eligibility can be answered by Human Resources or Student Academic Affairs prior to submitting a nomination.
Nominees will be evaluated per the following criteria:
Base of Operations—demonstrates emerging or sustained commitment to achieving awareness and equity for people with disabilities within the UCSF community proportionate to their capacity to do so. (Some employees in higher level positions/jobs may have a greater capacity to perform this service more visibly than those in lower level positions).
Scope & Effort—demonstrates exceptional efforts beyond the scope of the nominee's job, research or training in promoting an environment that is fully accessible and free of bias and discrimination and advances goals of awareness and full inclusion for people with disabilities within the UCSF community.
Impact—demonstrates that their efforts for achieving awareness and equity for those with disabilities within the UCSF community have resulted in long-term benefits to recipients and community at large or are a potential model for the establishment of other programs or activities.
Required Nomination Materials
Each nomination should have a minimum of one nominator and two supporters who are familiar with the nominee's work. Please see all required nomination materials below.
- One nomination form completed by the nominator
- One nomination letter from the nominator citing specific examples of the nominee's contributions and impacts as related to the "Selection Criteria."
- Up to two support letters citing specific examples of the nominee's contributions and impacts as related to the "Selection Criteria." Please note: support letters may be endorsed by multiple supporters. Any additional support letters submitted may not be read by the selection committee.
Submission of Materials
All materials must be submitted via the forms provided. We do not accept other formats such as emails or letters. We recommend using the following steps in completing the nomination and support letters:
- Review the form you will use.
- Write and save the letter in a Word document. Be sure to include an opening and closing statement and the three selection criteria.
- Copy and paste the letter content to the form.
For questions, please contact [email protected].
All required materials are due no later than Friday, May 14, 2021.
See past recipients of this award.