Chancellor Award for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex Leadership
Diversity, equity and inclusion are inextricably linked to UCSF's mission of education, research and patient care, and UCSF faculty, staff, students and trainees are actively engaged in equity and inclusion in multiple local, regional and global settings. Each year this award recognizes and honors three individuals at UCSF—one faculty, one staff, one student/resident/postdoctoral scholar—who have demonstrated outstanding commitment and service to the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusion beyond the scope of their job, area of research, or training. This year those whose contributions are aligned with our Anti-racism Initiative are encouraged to be nominated.
Nominations: The nomination period for the 2023 Chancellor Awards for Diversity is March 20, 2023 to May 12th, 2023. Please check below to review eligibility requirement, selection criteria and nomination process.
Eligibility Requirements for Nomination
Nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a UCSF academic or staff employee (with a minimum 50% appointment), or a student, a resident, or a postdoctoral scholar continuously from the time of nomination to the award ceremony in October.
- Have either a P-series (P1-4), S-series (S1-S2), or M-series (M1-M4) classification but do not hold the title of assistant or associate vice chancellor or equivalent VP or Executive VP title in UCSF Health.
- Have not previously received a Diversity Award from any of the four categories.
- Have exhibited and sustained efforts toward engaging in diversity, equity, and inclusion as delineated below in the "Selection Criteria."
- Endorsements from the supervisor and department head of the nominee.
- We encourage individual nominations, not groups.
NOTE: Questions regarding classification, employment, and enrollment eligibility can be answered by Human Resources or Student Academic Affairs prior to submitting a nomination.
Nominees will be evaluated per the following criteria:
Base of Operations—demonstrates emerging or sustained commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts commensurate with their role to do so. (Some employees in higher level positions/jobs may have a greater capacity to perform this service more visibly than those in lower level positions).
Scope & Effort—demonstrates exceptional efforts beyond the scope of the nominee's job, research or training in the accomplishment of promoting an environment that is free of bias, advancing goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion through exceptional leadership efforts, and contributing to the advancement of LGBTQI people and communities.
Impact—demonstrates that their diversity, equity and inclusion efforts for the advancement of LGBTQI people and communities have either resulted in long-term benefits to recipients and community at large or have significant potential for the establishment of other programs or activities.
Required Nomination Materials
Each nomination should have a minimum of one nominator and up to two supporters who are familiar with the nominee's work. Please see all required nomination materials below.
- One nomination form completed by the nominator
- One nomination letter from the nominator citing specific examples of the nominee's contributions and impacts as related to the "Selection Criteria".
- Up to two support letters citing specific examples of the nominee's contributions and impacts as related to the "election Criteria". Please note: support letters may be endorsed by multiple supporters. Any additional support letters submitted may not be read by the selection committee
Submission of Materials
All materials must be submitted via the forms provided. We do not accept other formats such as emails or letters. We recommend using the following steps in completing the nomination and support letters:
- Review the form you will use.
- Write and save the letter in a Word document. Be sure to include an opening and closing statement and the three selection criteria.
- Copy and paste the letter content to the form.
For questions, please contact DiversityOutreach@ucsf.edu.
All required materials are due no later than May 12th, 2023.
See past recipients of this award.