Watch the 2018 recipient introduction video for this award. Explore award recipients in previous years.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are inextricably linked to UCSF's mission of education, research and patient care, and UCSF faculty, staff, students and trainees are actively engaged in equity and inclusion in multiple local, regional and global settings. Each year this award recognizes and honors three individuals at UCSF—one faculty, one staff, one student/resident/postdoctoral scholar—who have demonstrated outstanding commitment and service to the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusion beyond the scope of their job, area of research, or training.
Eligibility Requirements for Nomination
Nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a UCSF academic or staff employee (with a minimum 50% appointment), or a student, a resident, or a postdoctoral scholar at the time of nomination. (Questions regarding academic status, employment, and enrollment eligibility can be answered by Human Resources or Student Academic Affairs prior to submitting a nomination).
- Have not previously received the award.
- Have exhibited and sustained efforts toward engaging in diversity, equity, and inclusion as delineated below in the "Selection Criteria.”
- Endorsements from the supervisor and department head of the nominee.
- We encourage individual nominations, not groups.
Nominees will be evaluated per the following criteria:
Base of Operations—demonstrates emerging or sustained commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts commensurate with their role to do so. (Some employees in higher level positions/jobs may have a greater capacity to perform this service more visibly than those in lower level positions).
Scope & Effort—demonstrates exceptional efforts beyond the scope of the nominee’s job, research or training in the accomplishment of promoting an environment that is free of bias, advancing goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion through exceptional leadership efforts, and contributing to the advancement of LGBTQI people and communities.
Impact—demonstrates that their diversity, equity and inclusion efforts for the advancement of LGBTQI people and communities have either resulted in long-term benefits to recipients and community at large or have significant potential for the establishment of other programs or activities.
2019 Nomination Period & Required Materials
Nomination period: March 11 – April 12
(All materials must be submitted via the forms provided. Forms will be available in March.)
- Completed Nomination Form
- One Nomination Letter form delineating the nominee’s contributions as related to the “Selection Criteria”
- Up to two Support Letters from those seconding the nomination on the Nomination Form attesting to the nominee’s contributions as related to the “Selection Criteria”.
Please email your questions to [email protected].
Submissions are due no later than Friday, April 12, 2019.