In order to attract diverse and talented faculty, it is imperative to follow best practices in the search process.
In partnership with UCSF Academic Affairs, the Office of Diversity and Outreach encourages the use of best practices in all recruitments. Key best practices are listed below. We encourage you to share your best practices with us.
- Include the following language in all advertisements: "UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence."
Ensure that women and underrepresented minorities have equal opportunity to serve on search committees.
- School of Medicine requires that search committees comprise 50% women or underrepresented minorities (URM).
- School of Nursing requires that search committees comprise 25% men or minorities.
- Schools of Dentistry and Pharmacy require that search committees comprise 25% women or minorities.
Information for Search Committee Members
- Your Responsibility as Search Committee Members
- Guide to First Search Committee
- Limiting Bias - Promising Practices for Searches for:
- Contributions to Diversity Scoring Rubric
- CACSW Tip Sheet
For more information on recruitment and retention efforts at UCSF: