Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
Launched in the fall of 2016, the Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program (DICP) is a cohort model education course designed to further equip the UCSF workforce with knowledge and skills to support DEI initiatives and best practices. The Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program focuses on exploring DEI concepts essential to enhancing an inclusive work environment through lecture, experiential and independent activities. To date, almost 200 people have completed the DICP program and there is a highly engaged alumni community.
In addition to the Foundations course, we have added a Managers course to further address the needs and responsibilities of those in managerial and leadership positions. Please see descriptions below to learn which course may be right for you. There is currently a waitlist for the Winter 2022 cohorts. The Fall 2022 application cycle will be announced in the summer and we encourage interested applicants to visit our website and join our newsletter for future announcements.
The DICP Foundations curriculum provides a deep dive into core diversity and inclusion knowledge domains. Through collaborative learning, participants will develop communication and interpersonal skills to engage in diversity dialogues and support allyship. Participants will also design a capstone project that will further their engagement in campus diversity initiatives.
The DICP Manager course will provide UCSF managers and faculty leaders with tools and best practices to support an inclusive climate. Participants will examine core leadership responsibilities through an equity lens and develop skills to facilitate diversity dialogues. The capstone project will provide an opportunity for participants to advance a departmental diversity initiative.
- Cost: Free
- The program is open to current UCSF, UCSF Health, and Benioff Children's Hospital staff and faculty
- In an effort to enrich the personal experiences and interpersonal interactions of each participant, a limited number of applicants will be selected each year
- Each participant must commit to attend every session, and obtain the appropriate release time for the program
- The Winter 2022 schedule is being established and applicants will be notified when confirmed
- Sessions will be conducted both virtually and in-person, and will adhere to COVID safety requirements
- A certificate will be awarded upon completion of the program
- Previous applicants who were not selected should submit a new application if they would like to be considered
- Past successful applicants addressed each of the personal statement questions, including how they would incorporate diversity and inclusion work into their current role, spoke to their career goals at UCSF, and expressed an interest in bringing their learning back to their unit and/or department
To develop a more capable workforce by enhancing staff competencies and capacity relevant to diversity, equity and inclusion, in order to leverage these toward achieving and sustaining campus wide excellence.
- Understanding foundational concepts for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Considerations and tools for creating an inclusive climate at work.
- Professional development.
- Contribute to the UCSF community by addressing unmet diversity needs.
The certificate program format includes:
- 8 - 10, 2.5 hour virtual or in-person sessions spread across three months
- 2.5 hours of independent learning between sessions including required readings, supplemental readings, video clips, or audio clips
- Attendance is mandatory and participants who are unable to attend the required sessions may be dropped from the course
LaMisha Hill, PhD (Director, Multicultural Affairs) – ODO Education & Training Program Director and Facilitator of DICP Manager Course
Klint Jaramillo, MEd, MSW (Director, LGBT Resource Center) - Facilitator of DICP Foundations Course
Melisa Bautista, MEd (Assistant Director, Multicultural Resource Center) – Program Manager, DICP Managers Course
Tracy Garcia (Assistant Director, LGBT Resource Center) – Program Manager, DICP Foundations Course
Diversity and Inclusion Staff Certificate Program Alumni Group
The Diversity and Inclusion Staff Certificate Program Alumni Group (DICP Alumni Group) allows graduates to continue their involvement with a community of graduates committed to supporting diversity efforts at UCSF. We offer regular group meetings that provide community-building opportunities for staff involved in diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts in their units and teams, such as our monthly "Share, Lunch and Learn" sessions. Please reach out to our team at DICPAlumniLeadership@ucsf.edu for questions, concerns, or to join our mailing list.